How do I wish someone there a Happy Christmas?
- Feliz Natal
When do they give presents?
- Christmas Eve
Who brings the presents?
- Santa Claus, here known as Papai Noel
What’s on the menu?
- Popular dishes include a roasted Chester (a large ball of chicken or turkey breast), salted cod, cold potato salad, and a variety of other salads. Rabanadas are a Brazilian Christmas dessert. They’re made from bread dipped in milk and eggs, fried and then sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon.
Any other traditions I should know about?
- The main celebrations happen on Christmas Eve. They involve eating, drinking and lots of dancing with close family and friends.
- One of Brazil’s cities – Natal – was named after Christmas. Founded on Christmas Day in 1599, it runs a competition for the best decorated homes, shops and businesses.
- With large extended families meeting up for Christmas, Secret Santa, or Amigo Secreto, has become a popular way to cut the cost of presents.
- Stollen – a fruit bread made with nuts and spices - is a popular Christmas treat in the south of the country. That's because lots of people of German ancestry settled in the area.